- Heat the pan on the stove and pour one tablespoon of coconut oil. Once the oil heats up, add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add curry leaves and urad dal, sauté till the dal turns golden and the aroma of frying dal leaves the pan.
- Add finely chopped onions and green chillies, and sauté them in medium flame till they turn slightly golden.
- Add the peanuts, Hing powder (Asafoetida), and salt. Give the whole mixture a nice stir and sprinkle a tablespoon of water to this so that the dal cooks through.
- Finally, add the crushed and mashed idlis, and give the whole thing a good mix. If you want, you can add a few drops of oil if the idlis stick to the pan.
- Transfer the hot, steaming idli upma to the plate and serve it with green chillies, brown peanuts, and golden urad dal.
You can enjoy this hot dish in its simplest form, without any additional toppings. But, if you are a person who loves to have a side-dish, then you can look for some idli batter recipes online and cook up some variations.
What are you waiting for? Blend the taste of south Indian dishes with a hint of innovation!