To Prepare Quinoa Idli:
- In the beginning, rinse quinoa 2-3 times. Add poha and rinse again. Drain out the water from this mixture. Again, add about 3 cups of water and soak this mixture for about 4 hours.
- Drain out the water after soaking. Add this mixture into a grinder or blender. Put a pinch of salt and some water, and blend the mixture to prepare the idli batter paste.
Remember, these ingredients would reduce the idli sambar calories drastically to let you have a healthy diet to begin your day.
- Now take out your prepared idli batter and mix the paste in it. Let it sit for about 3 hours before moving to the next step.
- Grease the idli mold with some drops of ghee or oil and spread it all over. Now, pour the batter into the molds. The quantity should be as per the size of the idli plate.
- Stack the plate and keep your idli stand ready. You can keep the stand in an instant pot, keeping the pressure valve on the vent option; or a pressure cooker removing its whistle. Add 1 cup water in the pot and then keep the idli stand.
- Boil the idlis keeping the flame in sauté mode. You need to set the external timer of the instant pot for 15 minutes. In case of a pressure cooker, make sure that idlis boil for 15 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, OR idlis boil for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker; let the pressure release for another 10 minutes.
- Now, take out the stand and take out the idlis in a hotpot to retain their temperature.
Now that your low idli sambar calories Quinoa Idlis are ready, let us take a look at the Sambar recipe to serve alongside these idlis.
To Prepare Idli Sambar:
- Blend all the ingredients of Sambar Powder and keep aside.
- Pre-heat a pan and put sunflower oil in it. Splutter your Sambar Powder in the oil.
- Add Shallot and chili in the oil and sauté till the color develops.
- Then, add chopped tomatoes and cook well for a few minutes.
- Later, add remaining chopped vegetables and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now, add turmeric, jaggery, salt, and water and cook well.
- Add tamarind extract and cook well for 10 minutes more.
- Then, add Toor Dal and water. This recipe contains the lowest idli sambar calories.
- Now, add 1½ tablespoon Sambar Powder, stir and boil well.
- As you start feeling the aroma in the pan, add curry leaves and cook for another 2 minutes.
Your Quinoa Idli-Sambar is ready to serve! The recipe carries the least idli sambar calories. Thus, it is ideal for calorie-conscious foodies.
You can enjoy the Sambar with other types of Idlis, Dosas, and Vadas too.